Thursday, November 29, 2007

Gluten blahs, peek-a-boo, and advice from our Dr.




Hello friends and family,

Life rolls on here- some ups and downs.

An UP: It was a beautiful day in Kodiak yesterday- blue skies, sunlight glistening off the ocean, cool but not cold. Saw someone jet-skiing right out of the harbor as I drove out of town to see an afternoon patient. Wow!

A DOWN: Am struggling to keep gluten out of my food. Uggg. Put some mustard (Sweet and tangy, Safeway brand) in some egg salad this morning and got sick immediately. Huh? So I called Safeway and "frig"...it had gluten in it. I called a second time because I had trouble believing it. Hidden in the ingredient of "spices". So I've been sick all day (miserable) and while helping Mike fix supper, I got the "Johnny's Salt" for him. Read its ingredients and "frig frig frig"- IT HAS GLUTEN. We always use Johnny's...or at least 3x/wk. Sigh... Frig.

An UP: Emailed Rhonda of the FDA and she called back ~1 hr later. I'm going to now work on contacting some of the national Celiac organization and sign up to help petition congress to amend the 2004 Food Allergy Labeling Act to include gluten. Just labeling "wheat" is useless for 1% of the population with Celiac's (and this number will continue to grow as Celiac's disease is genetic).

An UP and DOWN: Sleep is still hard to find in our household. Saw Dr. Webster on Wednesday and she recommends leaving her in her crib ALL night! She should be able to sleep throughout the night at this age. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

An UP: Cecelia is working on peek-a-boo.

An UP: American Idol starts again in January.

An UP: Have at least 1/2 of our Christmas cards written!


Pictures- the first one is how I feel today, second- Cecelia exhausted this morning after a tough night, and finally peek-a-boo.

No comments: