Last night, Mike and I enjoyed the movie "Julie & Julia". It was a good movie- good, not great. (I read that Julia Child was not impresses by Julie Powell- the young woman in the film- because Julia didn't believe she was serious about cooking.) But 2 good things came out of watching the movie- I realized that I'd never really appreciated a gift I'd gotten years ago...Volumes I and II of Mastering the Art of French Cooking. And as I started to read Volume I- recipe for garlic soup, I could 'hear' Julia Child's unique and passionate voice in the writing. The movie portrayed her as a boisterous, vibrant woman who had a wonderful humor and passion for life, food and herself. Today, I've been reading up on Julia and now I'm hooked...the second good thing from watching "Julie & Julia". What an amazing, FEARLESS woman! I'd love to know how she, at 6' 2", became a US spy in Sri Lanka during World War II. I admire her courage but wonder how the the US govt agency (Office of Strategic Services) ever thought to pass Julia off as a spy. For at 6'2", Julia would never be inconspicuous- not by her physical size or the vibrancy of her personality. Hmmm- just food for thought. Can't wait to learn more and to try making garlic soup. -R
Saturday, December 12, 2009
Julia
Last night, Mike and I enjoyed the movie "Julie & Julia". It was a good movie- good, not great. (I read that Julia Child was not impresses by Julie Powell- the young woman in the film- because Julia didn't believe she was serious about cooking.) But 2 good things came out of watching the movie- I realized that I'd never really appreciated a gift I'd gotten years ago...Volumes I and II of Mastering the Art of French Cooking. And as I started to read Volume I- recipe for garlic soup, I could 'hear' Julia Child's unique and passionate voice in the writing. The movie portrayed her as a boisterous, vibrant woman who had a wonderful humor and passion for life, food and herself. Today, I've been reading up on Julia and now I'm hooked...the second good thing from watching "Julie & Julia". What an amazing, FEARLESS woman! I'd love to know how she, at 6' 2", became a US spy in Sri Lanka during World War II. I admire her courage but wonder how the the US govt agency (Office of Strategic Services) ever thought to pass Julia off as a spy. For at 6'2", Julia would never be inconspicuous- not by her physical size or the vibrancy of her personality. Hmmm- just food for thought. Can't wait to learn more and to try making garlic soup. -R
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment